Monday, June 8, 2009

Red Mohair and Other Natural Disasters

It happened on Saturday. At the bank. I was in line...my usual line, waiting for the teller who has handled my transactions for the past four years. My turn came and as Donna said hello, she gave me a look like I had a fork stuck in my forehead. Then she grinned, sort of. I followed her gaze to the bottom front edge of my blouse where there in all its auburn glory was a mohair doll "wig" bouncily affixed to me.(The miracle of spray fixative gone wild!) I laughed till I nearly peed myself. It looked like a doll tried to take refuge under my blouse. No one else shared the embarassing sight with as much humor as I did, but then again, they didn't know what that curious red clump of mohair was exactly. And no one asked. The man behind me leaned in and said, "there's more where that came from", and he pointed to the back of my thigh. I pulled a stubborn wad of red mohair from the back of my pant leg and laughed until tears ran down my cheeks. Now the whole line was laughing,too. A brave woman further back asked, "that's not dog fur, is it?" [what kind of dog does she have, I wondered, because this looked like no dog fur I'd ever seen.] "No", I said totally serious, "it's from my cat." The line fell silent. "Just kidding", I added quickly; "it's from my dolls". ...I wish I could have captured the looks on faces. It was a Mastercard moment....Priceless. Needless to say, I have made a new entry in my Rules to Live By Journal--Spray fixative is only for use by grown-ups..

1 comment:

  1. Oh Nancye this is funny!! I can absolutely picture it and it sounds so much like something that could happen to me too. Thanks for the laughs :~D *kathryn

    ReplyDelete